HEC Attestation Process for Fulbright Scholarship Pakistan
Every year Fulbright applicants from all over Pakistan are in a quandary regarding the Higher Education Commission’s (HEC) degree attestation process. Some ask whether HEC attests diplomas while others ask whether they attest incomplete transcripts. In this post I am going to answer all of these questions – in case I leave something unanswered, please ask in the comment box below.
We all know that the Higher Education Commission (HEC) is the highest education authority in Pakistan. Its responsibility is to keep a check on the level of education imparted by the universities in our country. It’s other function is the attestation of degrees or diplomas issued by the HEC recognized institutions which can be either public or private. HEC degree attestation is required to apply for Fulbright Scholarship for the US – so you must get all of your degrees and transcripts attested from HEC.
Note: HEC does not attest your O-Levels or SSC (Matriculation) and A-Levels or HSSC (Intermediate) degrees, certificates or transcripts.
- HEC does not attest incomplete transcripts. So, in case you don’t have the final degree or the complete transcripts, then send what ever you have up till then to the USEFP, unattested. Once selected for the interview, USEFP will then ask you to submit your attested documents.
- HEC does not attest photocopies of transcripts or degrees without first attesting the originals. USEFP requires photocopies of your transcripts and degrees that have been attested by the HEC. USEFP does not accept photocopies of attested documents. Therefore you must get photocopies attested by HEC while applying for Fulbright Pakistan.
- HEC does attest diplomas issued by HEC recognized universities, however USEFP does not want you to submit any diplomas. Therefore there is no need to get your diplomas attested by HEC as USEFP will not give those any weightage or preference.
- HEC attestations are not valid for more than 6 months
You can get your Degree and transcript attested from
- Through OCS
Required documents for attestation
There is a slight difference in the procedure for attestation in these cities. However for all of them you need to make an account in the online portal of HEC and complete steps 1 and 2 by filling in your details. The fee for the attestation is Rs. 800 per original document and Rs. 500 for each page of the photocopies. The list of documents required is given below.
- Original Matriculation certificate/degree and transcripts. In case of O-Levels you need to first get an equivalence from IBCC and submit the originals along with your original equivalence certificate.
- Original Intermediate certificate/degree and transcripts. In case of A-Levels you need to first get an equivalence from IBCC and submit the originals along with your original equivalence certificate.
- Original University Degree that you want attested
- Original University transcripts that you want attested
- Copy of Computerized Identity Card
- An authority letter attested by a Grade 17 officer in case someone else is going to get your documents attested on your behalf.
- 1 set of photocopies of all the above mentioned documents.
Very Important: Your name, father’s name and date of birth should be same on all the documents and the ID card. Moreover all the information on your degree must match the information on your transcript.
Attestation from Islamabad
HEC is located in Sector H-9 in Islamabad. The official timing is from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and a total of 240 tokens are issued during this time. You should be there before 7:00 a.m. since there are many applicants and the tokens are limited. Guards reach the office at around 7:45 a.m. and they will ask you to make a line outside the gate of HEC. You should try to be as far ahead in that line as possible. After the formation of line, they let 40 students to enter the lab at a time so that they can print their online application. If you are in those 40, you will be free before 1:00 p.m. The web server assigns the token number related to their time of printing. Print quickly, get a lower token number and after that things go smoothly. You have to go to different windows according to your token number for different tasks such as checking of documents and payment of fee. After getting your documents, they will ask you to come back at 2:00 p.m. but usually you can have your documents back at around 12:00 p.m.
Attestation from Lahore
In Lahore, HEC is located in Gulberg III, behind Pizza Hut on M.M. Alam road. The process of attestation is the same as that in Islamabad except that in Lahore only 50 tokens will be issued – therefore you need to be a little earlier than you normally would in Islamabad. In Lahore you will get your attested documents after 2 days.
Attestation by Courier (OCS)
For courier you have to pay an extra fee of Rs. 155 if you are in Islamabad and Rs. 240 for any other area in Pakistan. It takes 15 to 30 days till you get your documents back. So if you are running out of time, this may not the right option for you. As usual, you will first to create the online account and fill in your details. Once you get the print outs of the completed online forms you then need to go to OCS with all the required documents and they will handle everything from there onwards.
Do note however that OCS does not ensure that your documents are consistent and per the HEC requirements. Therefore the worst thing is that once you send the documents through OCS, there is a possibility that HEC returns your documents unattested; citing objections. So you may end up wasting a lot of time if you are applying through OCS.
HEC degree attestation can be a very hectic process and you should plan it properly. Choose the option that suits you the best. People who don’t know the procedure and don’t plan before time can find this to be a very irritable process.
In case it is taking a long time to get your degrees attested by HEC and you are afraid that you will run out of time due to approaching Fulbright deadline, then simply call USEFP and explain them the whole situation. In all likelihood they will ask you to send your unattested documents before the application deadline and the attested documents as soon as possible after the Fulbright application deadline. Also when you send unattested documents to USEFP, attach a cover letter explaining the situation.