2015 Hubert Humphrey Scholarship Now Open for Pakistan
Please read this disclaimer
The 2015 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program for Pakistani applicants is now open for applications. Middle career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential can apply for a ten month long graduate level non-degree program that not only includes coursework but also an internship in a professional organization. The aim of the program is to provide U.S based experience to Pakistan’s future leaders and policy makers. Applicants from Pakistan can study in one of the 18 universities where faculty advisers assist students from Pakistan to pursue both academic and professional programs. Upon the end of the program Pakistani students must return to Pakistan to continue employment at their previous institution or organisation.
The program will commence in 2015 fall i.e. August/September and the candidates will be finally selected and intimated by October 2014. The deadline to apply is 9th of July 2014.
Applications must be submitted online along with all the supporting documentation which includes the following:
- 4 letters of references (including one from current employer) from the official email IDs of your referees
- Scanned copies of all the academic transcripts and degrees
- Scanned copy of a proof of re-employment upon your return to Pakistan or an email from the official email ID of your employer
Note that only online applications will be accepted for 2015 and you should not send applications by post; mailed applications will not be accepted for review.
Eligibility Criteria for Hubert Humphrey Scholarship Pakistan
Applicants for the Hubert Humphrey Scholarship in Pakistan must fulfill the following criteria before they apply:
• Successful applicants from Pakistan most be committed to serving Pakistan in a leadership position upon their return to Pakistan. Commitment to serving Pakistan is judged on two criteria mainly – proof of re-employment upon return to Pakistan and the essays you write while filling your application forms.
• Applicants must be Pakistani citizens and should not hold dual nationality of U.S./Pakistan
• Have a minimum of five years of work experience
• Applicants must have at least 16 years of education
• Applicants from Pakistan must possess a high level of fluency in spoken and written English. Please note that TOEFL is not required at the application stage
• Should not have attended a graduate school in the U.S. in the last 7 years
• Should not have a long term work experience with the U.S. in the last 5 years
• Should not be university teacher or researcher with no management experience
• Should not have a spouse, fiancé, parent or child over the age of 18 who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
• Should not be an employee of the Fulbright organization or the U.S. Department of State
Eligible Fields of Study for Hubert Humphrey Scholarship Pakistan
The Hubert Humphrey USA Scholarship for Pakistani Students admits applicants only in the following fields of study.
• Agricultural and Rural Development;
• Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention;
• Economic Development/Finance and Banking;
• Educational Administration, Planning and Policy;
• HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention;
• Higher Education Administration;
• Human Resource Management;
• Law and Human Rights;
• Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change;
• Public Health Policy and Management;
• Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration;
• Teaching of English as a Foreign Language;
• Technology Policy and Management;
• Trafficking in Persons, Policy and Prevention;
• Urban and Regional Planning.
This Scholarship for Pakistani Students provides for:
• Payment of tuition and fees at the assigned host university;
• Pre-academic English language training, if required;
• A maintenance (living) allowance, including a one-time settling-in allowance;
• Accident and sickness coverage;
• A book allowance;
• A one-time computer subsidy;
• Air travel (international travel to and from the U.S. for the program and domestic travel to required program events);
• A Professional Development allowance for professional activities, such as field trips, professional visits and conferences.
After you have submitted the online application, the USEFP office will notify you of the receipt of your application by email. Once you are notified of the application receiving your application will then be considered and in case you qualify the initial phase you will be asked to sit in an interview with a panel of 3-5 people – both Pakistani’s and U.S. citizens. These interviews normally take place in September and the final selection is made by October 2015. Successful applicants are notified by phone and other are notified of their rejection by mail.
An important advise for all Applicants: There are 5-6 small essay type questions (each with a word limit) in the online application forms. Answering these questions well is very important and I personally think that it is the BIGGEST factor that accounts for the success of failure of an applicant. My advice is that you spent as much time as you can and make a lot of drafts and revisions before you submit your application. Good Luck!